- We exist for our social purpose of supporting your favourite charities -

Energy performance certificates (EPC)

Covering the whole of Stoke-on-Trent, Newcastle-under-Lyme and the Staffordshire Moorlands

An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rates the energy efficiency of a property and its carbon emissions, and suggests ways to improve its energy efficiency.

All homes sold or rented out not only in Stoke-on-Trent, Newcastle-under-Lyme or the Staffordshire Moorlands but nationally require an EPC, and the energy ratings have to be displayed on the front page of any property particulars.

Check out our regularly asked questions around an EPC and contact us if you have any more questions or require any support.

I’m looking to sell my property – will I need an EPC?

Yes, you will need to have commissioned, but not necessarily received an EPC before marketing can start. The law also requires as an estate agents we must ensure an EPC is in place or has been commissioned, before marketing starts.

What do you mean by ‘commissioned an EPC’?

This means that you or us as your agent must have instructed an accredited Assessor to carry out an Energy performance assessment and produce an EPC, and enclosed the payment for the EPC or an undertaking to pay for it.

For speed and convenience, we can organise this for you.

If you decide to organise the EPC yourself, we will need to receive the EPC itself, or evidence that the EPC has been commissioned, as explained above.

I’m looking to let out my property to tenants – will I need an EPC?

Yes. Your property will require an EPC to be in place before marketing can commence, so it can be available to show to potential tenants. A tenant is entitled to receive a copy of the EPC before moving into the property.

Are there any exceptions from the need to have an EPC?

An EPC, is required when a building is constructed, rented or sold. Also a building will need an EPC if it has a roof and walls and has heating, air conditioning or mechanical ventilation. A garden shed, garage or old barn would not need an EPC if it does not use any energy to heat it up or cool it down. The following buildings are always exempt:

• Place of worship.
• Temporary building that will be used for less than two years.
• Standalone buildings with total useful floor area of less than 50 metres square that aren’t used to provide living accommodation for a single household.

Contact us and we can advise you if your property will need an EPC.

What is the penalty for not providing and EPC?

EPC’s carry ratings that compare the current energy efficiency and carbon dioxide emissions with potential emissions that a property could achieve. Potential figures are calculated by estimating what the energy efficiency and emissions would be, if energy saving measures were put in place.

Ratings measure the energy and carbon emission efficiency of a property using a grade from A to G. An A rating is the most efficient while G is the least efficient. The average efficiency grade to date is D. All homes are measured using the same calculations so you can compare the energy efficiency of different properties.

What recommendations will an EPC contain?

An EPC will provide a detailed report on the property, showing what can be done to help reduce the amount of energy used, and the carbon dioxide emitted. It will include:

• Summary of the key elements in the property that have impact on its performance rating, such as windows, heating systems and controls.
• Suggested improvements, like fitting loft insulation.
• Possible cost savings per year, if the improvements were made.
• How the recommendations would change the energy and carbon emission rating of the property.

How long is an EPC valid for?

10 years. However, if a newer EPC has been produced, the newer EPC must be used.

I have an EPC, but I have since put in new heating. Do I need a new EPC?

You do not need to do this, if you don’t want to. Instead, you could provide written details on the home improvement and if advised we will happily update the property particulars.

Property management

We break with convention

The very best calibre private tenants expect 24/7 service when they rent a property.

As an experienced or budding private Landlord it can be difficult to live up to this standard, but across Stoke on Trent, Newcastle under Lyme and the Staffordshire Moorlands we can help. Where we are appointed to manage your property we will ensure that both your tenants and property receive the essential professional care required.

Sell your property

Outstanding approach

A smooth and successful sale is all any seller wants.

We understand that when selling your home, you want the best possible price and the right buyers.

From providing a free and accurate valuation and putting your property on the market, all the way through to completion, to look after your best interests and to achieve the true value of your home.

With access to buyers across Stoke on Trent, Newcastle under Lyme and the Staffordshire Moorlands, marketing tools to show your home at its very best, and a dedicated team of property managers that are on hand to take the stress out of the whole sales process; we aim to give you the best experience of selling.